We would like to share a message sent to the Arrive Alive website:
I would like to find out the following:
1. How long must I have my drivers licence before I can open my own driving school?
2. If I want to get the papers, can I get it by any traffic departement in KZN?
3. If I had to hire workers to teach the students how much experience do they need?
If you would kindly please answer my above mentioned questions I would really appreciate it!!!
Thank you for your enquiry.
South Africa has almost the highest road fatalities in the world. Driver training is not taken seriously enough. It is often all about money and very little dedication!
I am sorry to say this but obviously a person who recently passed their driving licence test is not experienced enough to teach new drivers to drive.
There are thousands of fly-by-nights doing exactly that because all they are interested in is to make money out of the poor unsuspecting public.
That is not fair! It is directly and indirectly the cause of shocking carnage on our roads.
To answer your questions: ( And I do appreciate your asking for help in order to do it properly or not at all)
1. We believe that the minimum age for a person to be a driving instructor should not be under 24 years of age, so that they have at least 6 years experience as drivers. At this stage this is not a legal requirement.
2. If you consider yourself to be qualified to teach driving, (and you need to ask yourself exactly what experience and additional qualifications you have that make you believe that you have the necessary skills), you may go to the local DLTC to request an application form. (See http://www.arrivealive.co.za/pages.aspx?i=2928)
3. Any person employed by yourself to instruct others is subject to laws which compel him/her to be a legal, qualified driving instructor. Please see those laws on our website. http://www.saidi.co.za/index.php?page=law&action=index
4. We strongly discourage starting a driving school on any other basis. We do provide fully comprehensive training programmes for driving instructors.
5. Please feel free to contact us for assistance in this regard.