The South African Police Service (SAPS) and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) are joining forces on technology programmes for improved national safety and security.
The organisations will sign a memorandum of agreement that defines the institutional framework for cooperation through which the SAPS and the CSIR establish a strategic technology and innovation partnership to create a dedicated Safety and Security Evaluation and Research Institute (SSERI) through which the CSIR will provide long-term, on-going, independent scientific and operational support to the SAPS.
The agreement outlines research and technology support programmes that will be carried out over a period of time. The specific areas these programmes will target are:
• Command Control and Shared Situational Awareness,
• Information and Communication Technologies (ICT),
• Integration and Interoperability Support,
• Operational Quick Reaction Tasks,
• Science and Technology Capability Development, and
• Strategic and Operational Decision Support.
Members of the media are cordially invited to attend the event.
The event will unfold as follows:
Date : 29 January 2014
Time : 09:30am for 10:00am
Venue : CSIR Main Campus, Building 44 (IDE facility),
627 Meiring Naude Road, Lynnwood, Pretoria East.
(Use the South gate entrance)