Bayswater SAPS in Bloemfontein has distributed pamphlets warning residents in the area to guard against house burglaries. We would like to share these safety tips and recommendations:
- Ensure that all doors and windows are properly locked. Doors and windows are the most common place that thieves use to enter your house.
- Outdoors are often made of non-solid material and bad quality locks which make it easy for these doors to be kicked open.
- Many house-breakers enter houses through patio doors. Extra locks will ensure that the patio doors cannot be lifted out of their rails..
- Garage doors and other doors leading to the house should never be unlocked.
- Windows should be secured with a high quality of burglar proofing as well.
- Locks should be replaced as soon as you move into a new home.
- Your doors and windows should be visible from the street. Trees and shrubs should not act as a cover for criminals
- A built in safe is the best place to keep your fire-arm, money and jewellery
- Don’t leave any papers or letters in the post box. Ensure that the garden is neat and tidy before leaving on holiday.