What do I do if I receive traffic fines and believe my number plate was cloned?

Question:

My friend received 3 fines from the Gauteng province traffic department. Her car was never at that province the dates the fines were issued. I suspect the number plates are cloned. Who do we report this violation to? What steps do she need to take to prevent this happening again. These are not her fines and what is the procedure to be followed? Please help!

Answer:

The answer to your question is not as simple as it may appear to be. Firstly, to my knowledge, the Gauteng Provincial Traffic Police always stop offenders who they catch speeding – they do not make use of camera trapping. Therefore, if you are receiving fines from them, then there may be someone who is fraudulently using your identity document.

If however the fines you are referring to originate from other traffic departments, of which there are several in the Gauteng Province, with respect to camera speeding offences, then there is the possibility that a false number plate is being used by someone.

Under AARTO, the only way to deal with this is to complete an AARTO 08 representation form if the infringement notice is an AARTO 03 infringement notice. This form must be completed and submitted for each and every infringement notice you receive.

If the notices you are receiving are issued under section 341 of the Criminal Procedure Act, then you may write to the Chief Traffic Officer of the authority stated on the notice, pointing out what you have stated in this email.

There are NO STEPS that you can take to prevent this happening to you since our licensing system does not cater for the deletion of a licence number (number plate) and replacement thereof. This is a huge problem with the eNaTIS system and you are far from the only person that is affected. Unfortunately, the only way that these fines will stop coming to you would be if you sold or scrapped that vehicle. However, if the fines you are receiving are originating from the JMPD, then I can assist you with a referral to the JMPD false number plate unit, which is to my knowledge, the only Metro Police Department or Traffic Department in the country that has such a unit.

In order to refer you however, I would need to know whether the fines are from the JMPD and then I would need to know what your number plate number is.

Best Regards,

Howard Dembovsky
National Chairman – Justice Project South Africa (NPC)

9 thoughts on “What do I do if I receive traffic fines and believe my number plate was cloned?

• August 19, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I receive a fine on my 1400 nissan bakkie , the only problem is that on the photo it is a toyota and you can clearly see that the reg of the toyota is not mine , my nissan start with a H and on the photo the Toyota reg start with a M the rest of the no are the same. , I did send two mails to the helpdeskcourt@emfuleni.gov.za as indiicated on the fine , they don’t even read or answer the mails. . The fine was in Vereeniging and I’m living in Krugersdorp

• August 22, 2012 at 2:38 pm

FYI
    REF: W.H van den Berg registration number NXY 724 GP
    Sometime in 2011 I guess, my trails registration number was copied by an Alfa Romeo driver. I have received numerous traffic fines where this motor vehicle was involved in(speeding mostly).
    I was then informed by the Johannesburg Metro Police to lay a charge of fraud against this driver and have my registration number changed. After laying a charge I had to declare under oath, that the registration NXY 724 GP belongs to my Challenger trailer and is fraudulently displayed on another vehicle.
    I then had to hand all this information plus two coloured photos to the transport department for their investigation. After two weeks I was handed a letter from the transport department stating that I can reregister my trailer. Then on the 28th of May 2012 I went to the Kempton Park licence department and renewed my licence disk and had my registration number changed. I have now a new registration number.
    On the 04/06/2012, 12/06/2012, 11/07/2012, 23/07/2012 and 26/07/2012 I received speeding fines on the old registration number. It will not surprise me if more are in the post.
    Now I would like to know? what was the use of spending all that time and money trying to do the right and legal thing to resolve this problem. Is there any one in that department that can tell my positively what am I to do to resolve this problem?

• September 12, 2012 at 7:53 am

With reference to Willie van Rensburg’s comment – I have a similar problem with my son’s car registered in my name – the photo’s in the notices look the same as his car, but occurred in places where he has never even been to. I have submitted a representation with Commissioner of Oath Affidavits to AARTO after receiving the first three notices, but have not received any reply from them yet and yesterday received another five (5) infringement notices and from this trend expect more to come.

I also received the advice to have the vehicle reregistered, but with your experience I am not sure because those additional infringements up to the time of reregistration will also be noted against the current registration and the license department will not execute this if there are unpaid traffic infringements pending. A further complication is the bank where the vehicle is financed has been very reluctant and throw all sorts of policies and regulations making this almost impossible.

What am I to do? This is very frustrating and concerning.

PS – this all occurred in JMPD area and we live in Pretoria. Any advice, addresses, telno’s to contact would really be appreciated.

Adré

• January 22, 2014 at 6:43 am

Hi Willie van den berg , I’m having the same problem , hOw did u gO ab0ut fixing this ?

• February 4, 2014 at 11:42 am

many people used my car, how would i know whom drove the car on that particular day the fine was issued. please help!
    thanks

• January 14, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Just got a fine as well I drive a VW Playa and live in Rustenburg the fine is from Klerksdorp and is a Isuzu bakie.

* Wrong vehicle
    * Wrong City
    * Wrong race (I’m Caucasian)
    * Wrong sex (I’m a female)
    * Wrong age (you can clearly see its an older man)

• August 27, 2015 at 10:35 am

I received a fine for speeding in Krugersdorp.. a.place that I’ve never driven to.

The car is not mine but has the same registration. Please will you let me know what steps to take to sort this issue out.

regards

• February 21, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Received 3 outstanding fines which is on my husband’s ID. The previous car was on my name and once sold, he bought me another car on his name. Here is the catch: he drives a company car (registered on the company’s name) and I drive the car. The outstanding fines is from Umhlathuze Municipality (Durban). We stay in Cape Town. I have never been to Durban with either of the cars. Please assist on how to handle this matter. Thanking you in advance.

• May 31, 2016 at 1:44 pm

I received a fine on my maiden surname, my ID number is correct but it’s not my car and and I live in Cape Town the fine is from PE the number plate is also from EC and I never had that number before?! How do I do about this?

Comments are closed.